The Gregory opened as a 132-room boutique hotel located at 42 West 35th St. in Manhattan. The property is the second collaboration between Interstate Hotels & Resorts, hotel Asset Value Enhancement (hotelAVE) and Meadow Partners, the team behind The Renwick, which is launching this fall at 118th East 40th St., also in Manhattan.
The hotel first opened as The Gregorian in 1903 to cater to the overflow of guests checking into the original Waldorf-Astoria, now the site of the Empire State Building. Following a $10-million renovation, The Gregory has details of the original architecture, including high ceilings and mosaic tile detailing, infused with modern amenities.
New York-based design firm Bill Rooney Studio brought the project to life. The design was influenced by the early 20th century heritage of the original hotel. The rooms were reinvented by using black, white and gray, which highlight vintage architectural elements such as the bay windows, high ceilings, moldings and entry doors. Bathrooms, many of them with windows, feature amenities crafted exclusively for the hotel by Brooklyn-based skin care line Apotheke.
The Gregory's interactive lobby has a walnut herringbone floor; 1950s-style check-in desk; large wall clock; marble bar; a fireplace; as well as an art collection consisting of vintage industrial sewing machines and architectural artifacts.