The Hotel Am Steinplatz re-opened following a restoration, representing the first Autograph Collection hotel to open in Germany. Originally designed by August Endell, architect of Berlin's Hackesche Höfe complex, Hotel Am Steinplatz has an olive-green facade, arched windows reminiscent of Moorish architecture and stucco designs. The building is a local landmark in the residential area around Charlottenburg's Savigny-Platz.
According to the architect in charge for the renovation, Claudia Dressler, the designers worked closely with art historians and architectural preservationists, as well as the hotel founder's daughter, now over 90 years of age, during the project.
The building first opened as a luxury hotel in 1913. Following the October Revolution, many Russian aristocrats and intellectuals occupied the stately suites, while the hotel became a meeting point for prominent Berliners and travelers, such as Vladimir Nabokov and Zarah Leander. The property remained open during the Second World War. In 1950 the basement bar opened.
The property has 84 individually designed guestrooms, including one Junior Suite and two Spa Suites. The interior design is a contemporary interpretation of 1920s flair, with a focus on natural materials.
For dining, the property has Restaurant Am Steinplatz, offering Berlin dishes conceived by Michelin-starred chef Stefan Hartmann; and Bar Am Steinplatz, which offers recipes using spirits produced in Berlin. On the top floor is Spa Am Steinplatz, offering views over the city's rooftops.
Hotel Am Steinplatz is located within a short distance of the Deutsche Oper, Tiergarten Park, and KaDeWe, "The Department Store of the West."
The Autograph Collection is an ensemble of independent hotels.