Hilton Garden Inn, a brand of Hilton Worldwide, opened Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Downtown. Owned and managed by Minneapolis-based CSM Corporation, the hotel is housed in the former Professional Building.
The building – which has Art Deco-style architecture – was completed in 1931, but the Valley Bank and Trust Company did not open for business until 1932. Valley Bank and Trust owned the building and occupied the first three floors.
Designed by Morgan, Walls and Clements out of Los Angeles, this was the only building the firm designed in Phoenix. It was originally constructed with 11 floors. The 12th floor was added in 1958 creating a Moderne roof form and “projecting soffit”, indicative of the era’s style.
The exterior of the first two floors are made from limestone, and the upper floors are stucco over concrete. Carved Phoenix birds frame the main entrance off Central Avenue. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Involved in the renovation of the historical building was architectural firm Elness Swenson Graham. Paul Mittendorff was the principal architect.
Following the renovation, the original decorative bronze grills above the exterior doors along Central Avenue were retained. The second floor roofline also has the original classic Art Deco panels above and below the windows. All window frames are also original, as well as the marble flooring and walls of the main lobby and elevator lobbies.
Meanwhile, the Deco-era Corinthian capitals and columns in the lobby were restored. The original lobby was a two-story, 24-foot tall space designed to be a banking hall but was modified in 1971. The renovation returned the space to the original structure.
The elevator banks have original bronze doors and wrought iron work. The staircase leading down to where the bank’s security boxes and vault were held is original, as is the bronze handrail.
A scallop-design, custom wool rug adorns the lobby. The check-in desks have the original bank grills laid into the wood. The color palette includes gray-green, mint and taupe.
There are 170 guestrooms, including eight suites, across 11 floors. Every room has at least two windows, while corner suites have up to eight. The rooms also have 42-inch HDTVs, microwave, mini-refrigerators and coffee maker. Suites have separate living rooms, dual showerheads, vanities and mirrors. Color schemes include grays, creams and teal.
For dining, the property has Garden Grill, Nook Kitchen and Monroe’s lobby bar.
There is a 1,500 square foot rooftop terrace, called “Floor 13” as a reference to the movie “Psycho”. The space has a sundeck area, lounges, fire pit and seating for dining or gathering.
Other amenities include Wi-Fi connectivity throughout the hotel, business center and 1,300 square foot fitness center.
The hotel also has more than 2,600 square feet of meeting space for up to 200 people. There are four meeting rooms: Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Washington I and Washington II. Many spaces have windows to allow natural light in.