Hilton Cardiff completed the $3.39-million refurbishment of its 197 guestrooms after four months of renovation works. The room refurbishment is part of a wider improvements project that will see further announcements before the end of the year. It was carried out in phases.
The project coincides with the 15th anniversary of Hilton Cardiff, which first opened its doors on Aug. 1, 1999. The building was originally built by the Prudential Assurance Company, and was officially opened by the Lord Mayor of Cardiff in 1952.
The refurbishment sees the hotel’s bedrooms redecorated and furnished in a muted palette of whites and creams with bright cobalt feature elements and metallic fittings. The designs were put together by The Hickson Design Partnership, a Turin and London based architecture and interior design practice.
Until the late sixteenth century the land on which Hilton Cardiff stands was part of a Franciscan friary known as Grey Friars. In the mid-1540s, it was purchased by Sir George Herbert of Swansea, whose grandson, Sir William, built the house known as The Friars. The site remained as parkland until its sale to Cardiff Corporation in the early part of the twentieth century, before being purchased by The Prudential Assurance Company.
Hilton Cardiff has views over the medieval castle and the Edwardian civic center at the heart of the city.