Palace Hotel Tokyo to debut on May 17

Palace Hotel Tokyo announced plans to open on May 17, following a JPY 90 billion (US $1.2 billion) investment in the mixed-used development.  The new 290-room property succeeds two previous hotels, the Hotel Teito and Palace Hotel that occupied the same site from 1947 and 1961, respectively.

The hotel's most anticipated attributes include the opening of evian SPA TOKYO, which will be only the second evian SPA outside of France; a constellation of Michelin-star restaurants, including French restaurant Crownopens, Japanese restaurant Wadakura, and Chinese restaurant Amber Palace; and expansive views from every room and nearly all of the hotel's public space.

The hotel's 290 rooms will include 12 suites and six categories of guest rooms, the smallest of which will be 45 square meters. Beyond the four destination restaurants, an additional six restaurants and bars round out the hotel's food and beverage opportunities.

As a complement to the hotel's 23 above-ground floors, the uppermost of four basement levels will feature 17 retail outlets. This same level will also provide underground passage to the Otemachi subway station, which will be completed in the spring of 2013.

The hotel's main entrance is located across the street from Otemon Gate, once the main gate of Edo Castle. One of the hotel's distinguishing architectural features is at its main entrance, where Aji stone walls echo the very same stonework that lines the imperial moats.

In preparation for its May 17 grand opening, Palace Hotel Tokyo has secured a spot in the Leading Hotels of the World portfolio.

Suggested Articles

Demand came in 67,000 rooms lower during the week ended July 4 than the previous week, according to Jan Freitag, STR’s SVP of lodging insights.

Two recent cases address the issue of hotel liability when personnel assist police who have an issue with a guest—here's the lesson for hotels.

The Buccini/Pollin Group has a longstanding connection to the Baltimore region, opening its first hotel in the area in 1997.