IHG is getting behind the wheel with Uber. A new collaboration between the two has been established, designed to make it easier and more rewarding for guests to get to and from their hotels.
From this week, anyone who is traveling within the U.S. and signs up as a new Uber rider can earn 2,000 IHG Rewards Club points and $20 off their first ride with Uber. Travelers can request a ride from the IHG app through the Uber API and, in early 2016, they will be able to set Uber “Ride Reminders.”
"IHG Rewards Club is constantly evolving, based on member and consumer insights, to ensure we are delivering the most innovative, relevant and rewarding experiences for our guests," said Lara Hernandez, VP of digital, loyalty and partner marketing, The Americas, IHG.
Jonathan DiOrio, head of travel, entertainment and venue partnerships, Uber, added, "Both Uber and IHG are focused on combining travel with technology to provide a better experience for users. We are excited to offer Uber’s rapidly growing service to the millions of IHG Rewards Club members traveling throughout the U.S. each year."
Here are the steps for guests to follow:
- Update the IHG app or download it here.
- Book a stay at an IHG hotel anywhere in the U.S.
- To get to your destination, select the Uber button in the IHG app to request a ride.
- Guests will be directed to the Uber app where the hotel’s address will be pre-populated. If the Uber app is not installed on the guest’s mobile device, they will be directed to an app install link.
- New Uber riders will receive $20 off their first ride and a digital voucher code from Uber via email to deposit 2,000 IHG Rewards Club points into their member account. Points can be redeemed toward a future stay at any of the more than 4,900 IHG hotels in the world.
This isn't the first time Uber has partnered with hotel companies. In September, Hilton teamed with Uber, and starting last September, Starwood signed a deal with Uber wherein SPG members could accrue reward points by booking cars through the Uber app.