The Dixon has opened in London, joining Marriott International's Autograph Collection.
Located on Tooley Street, The Dixon was named after John Dixon Butler, the architect who originally constructed the Grade II-listed building in 1905 as a Magistrates’ Court and police station. The building was renovated/restored by Rani Ahluwalia, creative director at M Studio London, and twenty2degrees. The architectural restoration was led by Consarc Design Group.
The Dixon has curated pieces inspired by the history and talent of SE1 in all of its guestrooms and public spaces. In total, there are 193 rooms, including 10 suites that incorporate the locale’s culture through a mix of heritage design.
In the restoration of the former Magistrate’s Court, the design team paid homage to the venue’s history. Each and every cell key was kept and restored, now interwoven with modern design elements. Benches etched by prisoners when waiting for deliberation are now in the lift lobbies, and a large, finely-crafted chandelier comprised of handcuffs hang above the staircase.
The Courtroom Bar continues this theme, with Edwardian oak paneling providing a backdrop for the cocktail bar. Drinks are served under the original structure of the judge’s bench.
The hotel’s restaurant, Provisioners, was inspired by modern design movements, designers’ studios and homes, as well as European café culture, while retaining historical elements of the original courthouse structure. The space also gives a nod to the Bauhaus and mid-century era, with functional design creating a casual space. A key influence for Provisioners was modern European design and British industrial designers such as Sir Kenneth Grange, some of whose work hang in the space.