Marriott ends its 24-hour cancellation policy

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Marriott International's 24-hour cancellation policy is coming to an end. The company is mandating 48-hour notice on all future cancelled reservations, or guests will be on the hook for a fee equal to one night’s stay.

The company’s cancellation policy has been toyed with over the last few years, with hotels gradually stepping away from their previously forgiving cancellation policies in favor of something more in line with the airline industry. 

In 2014, Marriott and Hilton shortened their cancellation policy to 24 hours. At that time Hilton claimed the tighter cancellation window was being instituted in order to provide a more consistent booking process for both guests and hotel operators, and this time around Marriott is justifying the new rules in a similar fashion.

Virtual Roundtable

Post COVID-19: The New Guest Experience

Join Hotel Management’s Elaine Simon for our latest roundtable—Post COVID-19: The New Guest Experience. The experts on the panel will share how to inspire guest confidence that hotels are safe and clean and how to win back guest business.

A release from Marriott stated that the the policy will assist travelers looking for last-minute reservations by freeing up rooms that guests don’t plan on using at an earlier period in time, and added that the 24-hour cancellation window left many hotels with “a significant number of unsold rooms” thanks to last-minute cancellations.

Marriott is honoring bookings made before June 15, but all bookings made after that date are subject to change.

“Guests will now be required to cancel their room reservation by midnight 48 hours prior to arrival in order to avoid a fee," Marriott International said in a statement. The new policy will affect hotels in the United States, Canada, Caribbean and Latin America, though it will not apply to the independently owned Design Hotels or Marriott Vacation Worldwide properties. 

However, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide's brands, Marriott’s biggest and newest buy, will be impacted.

Reservations made before June 15 will be unaffected by the new rules, so travelers who made reservations prior to that date will still have the ability to cancel their stay 24 hours beforehand.

Allison Sitch, a spokesperson for Marriott, said in a statement that a number of Marriott hotels were already operating with 48- or 72-hour cancellation policies, and in some cases those hotels with 48-hour policies will be switching to 72-hour policies, with 72-hour cancellation policies remaining unchanged.

Suggested Articles

Demand came in 67,000 rooms lower during the week ended July 4 than the previous week, according to Jan Freitag, STR’s SVP of lodging insights.

The In-Seat Contactless Platform is meant to give guests touch-free control over food and beverage at hotel restaurants.

As the economy slowly begins to right itself, hotels can look toward an unexpected way to save on operating costs: their trash.