Nazarian gives up stake in SLS Las Vegas

Hotelier Sam Nazarian agreed to sell his minority stake in the SLS Las Vegas hotel and for his company to give up management of the property on the Las Vegas Strip.

Stockbridge Capital Partners, the San Francisco-based real-estate investor that owns 90 percent of the hotel, agreed to buy the remaining 10 percent owned by Nazarian and his family.

Virtual Event

HOTEL OPTIMIZATION PART 2 | SEPTEMBER 10 & 24, 2020

Survival in these times is highly dependent on a hotel's ability to quickly adapt and pivot their business to meet the current needs of travelers and the surrounding community. Join us for Optimization Part 2 – a FREE virtual event – as we bring together top players in the industry to discuss alternative uses when occupancy is down, ways to boost F&B revenue, how to help your staff adjust to new challenges and more, in a series of panels focused on how you can regain profitability during this crisis.


As part of the agreement, the hotel’s 2,354 employees will continue to work at the property, but will now report to Stockbridge instead of SBE Entertainment Group, the company founded by Nazarian.

That means SBE no longer will collect management fees from the hotel, though it will continue to receive licensing fees for the brand. The 1,620-room hotel will remain an SLS hotel through a franchise agreement with SBE.

“Converting SBE’s current management agreement into a license agreement benefits all parties involved—our valued guests and employees, SBE and Stockbridge,” said Terry Fancher, Stockbridge’s executive managing director, in a statement to The Wall Street Journal. He added that it “will give the SLS Las Vegas flexibility to introduce new brands or restaurants.”

Suggested Articles

U.S. hotel occupancy remained nearly flat for two consecutive weeks, according to the latest data from STR.

The goal of Hospitality Advisory Associates is to help hospitality companies navigate the different stages of the hospitality investment life cycle.

The Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach Resort & Club has 400 guestrooms and an 18-hole golf course.