Thailand's Minor Intl. sets high investment bar

Thailand-based hotel operator Minor International has reportedly established an investment budget of around $1.17 billion over the next five years with a target to have more than 200 hotels and 3,000 restaurant branches under the group by 2020.  It currently operates around 130 hotels and 1,700 restaurants globally.

According to Chaiyapat Paitoon, vice president of strategic planning and investor relations, and as reported by Deal Street Asia, the company will spend around $754 million on renovating hotels and restaurants, with the remaining dollars to be allocated to acquisitions. “We will still focus on acquiring the hotels as we believe that the hotel business has the potential to grow both domestically and internationally. In Thailand, we can see a speedy recovery of the tourism industry after a tragic bomb took place in Bangkok. Meanwhile, the global economic slowdown gives us a good chance to buy the assets in overseas at a good price,” Paitoon said.

According to Deal Street, around half of Minor's revenue comes from its hotel business. The new investment plan could push its net profit by 15-20 percent per year. Of that growth, around 80 percent will come from the existing assets and the other 20 percent from acquisitions.

Virtual Event

HOTEL OPTIMIZATION PART 2 | SEPTEMBER 10 & 24, 2020

Survival in these times is highly dependent on a hotel's ability to quickly adapt and pivot their business to meet the current needs of travelers and the surrounding community. Join us for Optimization Part 2 – a FREE virtual event – as we bring together top players in the industry to discuss alternative uses when occupancy is down, ways to boost F&B revenue, how to help your staff adjust to new challenges and more, in a series of panels focused on how you can regain profitability during this crisis.


In October, Minor acquired Hotel Tivoli Oriente in Lisbon for 38.5 million euros, and now owns a total of five hotels in the Tivoli chain. The group also reported that the purchase “includes the right to ownership of the land and hotel assets, which are leased to third parties,” namely an investment fund managed by GNB Asset Management (formerly Espírito Santo Activos Financeiros), owner of the Tivoli Hotels & Resorts brand in Portugal.

Also last month, Minor announced a JV with Anantara to develop a property in Malaysia.

Suggested Articles

Many hotel owners will find themselves in the uncomfortable and unfamiliar position of deciding on a course of action for negotiating with their lende

For the week of Sept. 6-12, occupancy reached 48.5 percent, down 1.6 percent from the previous week.

Tisch joined Loews Hotels & Co in June 2017 from Loews Corp., where he was a VP.