As technology is advancing rapidly, Digital Marketing is constantly evolving. Net Affinity has put together 14 hotel marketing trends for 2014 to keep you up to date with developments in digital marketing. The following infographic created by hotel marketing agency Netaffinity highlights 14 key trends to watch for in 2014.
Although it doesn’t offer exact solutions on how hotel marketers can compete with metasearch sites or create engaging video content, it outlines where the greatest portion of marketing spend should go in the coming year, Skift reports.
Geo-targeting, analytics, social media marketing, and meta search are some of the other important or upcoming developments that will be necessary to increase hotel business, reports Business Solutions.
The trends are:
1. Continued growth of mobile: Mobile Hotel Bookings will continue to grow stronger throughout 2014, with a prediction that 50 percent of direct online bookings will be made via mobile devices by 2017.
2. Engagement through video: Video usage is growing at a fast pace. In 2013, 81% of online travel bookers consulted videos before purchasing products.
3. Not provided keywords: Currently 80% of google searches are recorded as 'not provided' keywords. By Q1 2014, it is predicted that Google will encrypt 100 percent of keyword searches - say goodbye to organic keyword data.
4. Customized remarking: 96 percent of people who visit a website leave without converting. Remarketing allows you to target these people and bring them back. 2014 will see more customized remarketing audiences.
5. OTAs vs direct bookings: Travelers are hit with 20+ sites before they make a booking decision. For 2014, meta-search, social media and a strong brand website will provide great opportunity in competing with OTAs and gain more direct bookings
6. Meta search: Today we are witnessing an explosion of meta search travel sites and features. For 2014, meta search marketing should be included in hoteliers’ efforts to shift share away from the OTAs to their online direct channels.
7. Semantic search: In 2014, search will develop further with semantic search, which seeks to improve search accuracy by understanding searcher intent and the contextual meaning.
8. Google Carousel for hotels: The Carousel is currently live in Europe for location and events-based searches, 2014 will bring the google carousel for hotel related searches (already live in the USA).
9. The new multi-screen world: 2014 is the year of multi-screen marketing, with travelers moving across devices to complete bookings.
10. Social media marketing: 2014 will be the year to increase website traffic via social media. Search engines are favoring social media sites within search results more than ever before.
11. Growing importance of Google Plus: Google Plus will be the social network for SEO growth during 2014 - evolving into Google Carousel, local searches and Google Now.
12. Deeper use of analytics: Google Analytics Improvement’s released in recent months should see marketers getting deeper into analytics during 2014.
13. Website site speed: Site speed has always had some effect on search engine results however it’s rumored that 2014 will see site speed having a more significant effect on your search engine rankings.
14. Geo-targeting: Geo-targeting is set for huge growth throughout 2014. The hotel industry needs to see the potential with this targeted marketing method.