Recent research by InterContinental Hotels Group has revealed that 40 percent of UK travelers believe that their smartphone is the most important item to take on their holiday. According to a survey of 10,000 travelers across 13 countries by IHG Rewards Club, more than half (56 percent) of UK travelers surveyed revealing they will use it every single day. As a result, 1 in 10 travelers clock an impressive average of 70 hours online while on holiday - almost 20 percent of the actual time spent on a two week holiday.
According to Incentive Travel and Corporate Meetings, the research also revealed:
- Two thirds of Brits turn to technology to avoid getting lost on holiday, choosing to be guided by smartphones over a traditional map.
- Technology is fast replacing the classic postcard with 67 percent of respondents saying they use it to text friends and another 28 percent to Skype loved ones back home, while away.
- A third of Brits stay connected to home by using social media every day, so much so that it’s the last thing they do before sleep.
- Two-fifths of Brits say planning the holiday is the best part, with more than a third (34 percent) spending over a day researching their trip
The survey found that the smartphone is fast replacing the traditional postcard with 64 percent of respondents saying they use it to text friends and another 32 percent to Skype friends and family back home while on holiday. However, recounting holiday experiences with friends and family still remains one of the most enjoyable ways of sharing a holiday, with one in ten travelers saying this is as enjoyable as the holiday itself, according to Gadget.
The survey also uncovered that 42 percent of travelers check social media every day while on holiday, with 25 percent of them even saying they always check Facebook before going to sleep. Taking selfies is also increasingly becoming one of the most popular ways to share holiday experiences, with 25 percent of travelers surveyed saying they use their smartphones for holiday selfies.
The top 10 uses of smartphones by holiday makers are:
- Checking work emails – 68%
- Navigation/Maps – 67%
- Texting – 64%
- Taking holiday photos – 51%
- Making calls – 42%
- Snapping pictures of meals – 35%
- Updating Facebook/Twitter – 32%
- Skype-ing friends/family – 32%
- Playing games – 27%
- Taking selfies – 25%