Outrigger Resorts & Hotels has achieved Green Seal certification for key properties in Hawaii and Fiji. Outrigger is first in Hawaii to earn the Green Seal designation as well as the first hospitality brand to achieve certification outside of the United States.
Green Seal is a global non-profit whose certification mark confirms that a product, cleaning service or facility meets the highest benchmark of health and environmental leadership.
Outrigger’s owned/managed properties that are now Green Seal certified are:
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
- Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
- Outrigger Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel
- OHANA Waikiki East by Outrigger
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Waikiki Beach Walk
- Outrigger Kona Resort & Spa
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
- Castaway Island, Fiji Resort
The certified Outrigger Resorts & Hotels demonstrated that they:
- Conserve energy with 100 percent energy-efficient lighting in all guestrooms and public areas and energy-efficient appliances and windows.
- Conserve water through water-efficient landscaping, grounds-keeping measures and water-saving fixtures in guestrooms and public areas.
- Reduce waste by minimizing use of disposable food service items and seeking out reusable packaging and shipping pallets.
- Protect human health and the environment by using housekeeping products that are free of toxic chemicals and low volatile organic compounds.
- Are committed to stewardship by having an environmental mission and purchasing policy.
Green Seal certification is unique in its focus, not just on environmental protection, but also on health and indoor air quality. Achieving certification validated that Outrigger properties create a wellness environment where guests and hosts can stay safe from allergy and asthma triggers and reduce their exposure to toxic chemicals.
“Outrigger is proud to be the first in the State of Hawaii to earn the prestigious Green Seal sustainability certification for its properties, and the first hospitality brand to pursue the certification outside of the United States in Fiji and Mauritius,” Monica Salter, VP, global communications and social responsibility at Outrigger Resorts & Hotels, said in a statement. “The Green Seal designation is part of Outrigger’s larger ESG plan and further solidifies our allegiance to meeting the highest standards of protecting the health and environment for its guests and hosts.”
In 2014, Outrigger was the first Hawaii hospitality company to champion reef-safe sunscreen for its guests as a hands-on way to help our oceans thrive and to date, has preserved, protected and planted more than 100 football fields of coral reef fronting its global resorts through its conservation initiative Outrigger Zone. In the last six months, Outrigger Resorts & Hotels was a founding member for the launch of American Hotel & Lodging Association’s Responsible Stay and Global Hotel Alliance’s new Green Collection.