Dish unveiled Evolve, a 4K-capable Android TV set-back box that seamlessly integrates streaming apps, live linear programming and casting into one customizable solution. Evolve offers guests a more intuitive way to engage with content from their mobile devices using their room’s TV.
“Today’s guest is used to a TV experience at home that combines their favorite streaming apps with linear, high-definition programming,” Alistair Chatwin, director of Dish Business, said in a statement. “With Evolve and Smartbox, all hotel operators can now deliver the intuitive and streamlined entertainment that guests have come to expect at home, while reducing costs, increasing performance and saving space across their properties.”
Powered by Smartbox, Dish’s revolutionary headend video distribution platform for commercial applications, Evolve is designed to work with any hotel wiring scenario, as well as existing or upgraded infrastructures. It supports video delivery over QAM or IP, and internet connectivity over DOCSIS, Ethernet or Wi-Fi (2.4/5GHz).
Evolve features are:
- Google Play store: An Android TV-based platform, Evolve gives guests access to thousands of Android TV applications from the Google Play Store, including music, movies and games.
- Chromecast built-in: Cast content from apps like Sling TV and YouTube, as well as music, photos and videos, from mobile devices to hotel room TVs without ever having to enter credentials.
- Advanced program guide: With an interactive program guide featuring genre filters and 23 hours of future programming data, Evolve improves the way guests discover, navigate and watch live TV in their hotel rooms.
- Channel preview: When in the program guide, hover over any title to view a pop-up window that displays live video from the channel. This allows guests to view exactly what’s on before selecting.
- Configuration tool: Customize Evolve’s UI with branding, welcome channels and pre-loaded apps.
- PMS integration: Provide guests with personalized messages on the home screen and automatically clear their personal information from Evolve as they check out.
- Bluetooth LE with audio support: Watch TV with Bluetooth headsets to eliminate disruptions when multiple people are staying in the same room.
- 4K capability: Evolve will continue providing guests with a premium television viewing experience as hotels deliver more 4K offerings.