In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, Ecolab has launched the Ecolab Science Certified Program to maintain sanitation standards at restaurants, hotels and retail stores. Businesses can earn and display the Science Certified seal digitally and on-site.
“Across the many industries we serve, Ecolab applies science and innovation to help solve the challenges posed by the spread of pathogens and infections—including emerging pathogens like COVID-19,” said Douglas M. Baker Jr., Ecolab chairman and CEO. “We know firsthand that the safety of every environment is now top of mind for consumers.”
The Ecolab Science Certified Program is tailored to meet specific business needs, including proprietary protocols and standards, and can be scaled to deliver a consistent standard of cleaning and disinfecting across multiple customer locations globally. The program was developed in response to research indicating consumers feel safer knowing cleaning practices in a hotel or restaurant are verified by an external, independent auditor with cleaning expertise. Consumers also indicated they feel safer knowing the places they eat and stay use hospital-grade disinfecting products.
The program leverages science-based solutions and insights from 1,200 scientists, engineers and technical specialists with verification by EcoSure auditors focused exclusively on public health and food safety.
To earn the Science Certified seal, businesses must meet the following criteria:
- The use of hospital-grade disinfecting products and food-safe cleaning and sanitizing products
- Standardized cleaning, hygiene and food-safety protocols and procedures informed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and local health department guidelines
- Pest-elimination and water-treatment solutions to address additional sources of infection transmission
- Staff training to reduce the potential for human error in following protocols and applying products correctly, which is particularly important for industries and businesses with high staff turnover
- On-site support through ongoing consultation and in-person coaching
- An annual hygiene and food-safety audit that reviews state and federal requirements and helps ensure correct product and equipment usage, completion of training modules, adherence to elevated protocols and documentation of corrective actions, with customer sign-off
The Ecolab Science Certified Program will launch initially in North America, and then roll out globally.