Renaissance Hotels announced that the executive leadership team is now in place for its first full-service hotel in Westerville, Ohio. The team will lead the way as the new property prepares for its spring grand opening. The Renaissance Columbus Westerville-Polaris Hotel (Renaissance Westerville) is finishing up construction and is scheduled to open this May.
Located near Polaris Parkway and Uptown Westerville, the modern American lake house-inspired hotel will have 222 rooms and 15,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and banquet space with the capacity to seat up to 750 guests.
Renaissance Westerville offers guests views of the adjacent lake through floor-to-ceiling windows, as well as nature-inspired finishes, outdoor areas with firepits, a walking path and seating along a spacious patio that extends across the back of the hotel.
With a local focus on the Westerville community, the hotel will have local artists and musicians, as well as offer “Navigators” to support guests seeking distinct Westerville experiences. In addition, the hotel’s restaurant, The Two-One, was named after the 21st Amendment, honoring Westerville’s history in prohibition as the "Dry Capital of the World." The name was selected by local resident, Chris Carlisle following an online contest.
“As we near our grand opening, it is imperative to have the right team in place that embodies the brand and ideals of the Renaissance,” Scott Starek, GM of the Renaissance Columbus Westerville-Polaris Hotel, said in a statement. “While our hotel has its own unique look and feel that is ideal for weddings, corporate events and more, the sublime customer service our guests will experience is consistent throughout the entire Renaissance family. With a knowledgeable staff and a keen eye on providing exceptional hospitality, we look forward to opening our doors and making each visit memorable.”
The full executive leadership team* includes:
- Scott Starek, GM - Scott has been working at Marriott properties for nearly 15 years. He has spent time in Phoenix, St. Louis, Mo.; and Cleveland, Ohio, with Renaissance, Marriott Hotels & Resorts and Courtyard properties. This will be the third opening that he's been a part of and he feels each opening is more exciting than the last.
- Kevin Ball, assistant GM - Before taking on the role, Kevin spent more than 20 years as a chef and food and beverage leader in numerous hotel brands and private clubs. For seven years, he ran the member and player hospitality tent at Augusta National Golf Club for the Masters Tournament. He serves as a member the American Culinary Federation's apprenticeship committee.
- Heather Turkay, director of sales and marketing - Heather began her career at the Indianapolis Marriott North as a sales coordinator. Since that role, Heather is back to the Midwest after a lot of stops along the way. She brings with her 14 years of hospitality experience from all over. Tennessee, Florida, Washington and Istanbul are some of the places that work and love (her husband is also a hotelier) has brought Heather.
- Kari Shoemaker, director of human resources - Kari started her hotel career in Orlando, Fla., and then she was off to downtown Chicago for six years. She is now back in her hometown of Westerville, Ohio. She has worked with Marriott brands for 15 years at the Westin, Sheraton, Marriott and now Renaissance brands.
- Tyler Tremaine, executive chef - Prior to this role, Tyler held various chef positions with Marriott and Hilton, and was on the opening team for the Hideout at the Laylow Waikiki as well as 16 on the Park at the Residence Inn Baltimore.
- Brian Crabbe, chief engineer - Brian has been in the hospitality industry for 19 years as a chief engineer and cluster engineer. He is a Westerville native and is now living in northern Delaware County.
- Alexandria Sears, accounting manager - Prior to this role, Alex has served in many capacities as an operations manager, where she coached a team of guest service ambassadors and played a role in reaching and maintaining goals. Alex has spearheaded numerous projects delegated by Marriott International across various disciplines.